The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.10, is out.
All users must upgrade as soon as possible.
Notable user-visible changes include:
Tor: upgrade to 0.2.2.35-1.
- Install Iceweasel 9.0 from the Debian Mozilla team's APT repository.
- Update Torbutton to 188.8.131.52-1.
- Support viewing any YouTube video that is available in HTML5 format.
- Use Scroogle (any languages) instead of Scroogle (English only) when booted in English. Many users choose English because their own language is not supported yet; let's not hide them search results in their own language.
- Install the NoScript Firefox extension; configure it the same way as the TBB does.
- Disable third-party cookies. They can be used to track users, which is bad. Besides, this is what TBB has been doing for years.
Do not transparently proxy outgoing Internet connections through Tor. Instead drop all non-Torified Internet traffic. Hence applications has to be explicitly configured to use Tor in order to reach the Internet from now on.
- Upgrade Vidalia to 0.2.15-1+tails1. This version will not warn about new Tor versions (this is handled by Tails security check instead).
- Upgrade MAT to 0.2.2-1~bpo60+1.
- Upgrade VirtualBox guest software to 4.1.6-dfsg-2~bpo60+1, built against the ABI of X.Org backports.
- Upgrade I2P to 0.8.11; the start script (which was broken in Tails 0.9) is now fixed.
- Install unar (The Unarchiver) instead of the non-free unrar.
- Install Nautilus Wipe instead of custom Nautilus scripts.
- Upgrade Linux kernel to 3.1.6-1.
- Upgrade to X.Org from squeeze-backports.
- Install more, and more recent b43 firmwares.
- Upgrade barry to 0.15-1.2~bpo60+1.
- Add basic language support for Russian, Farsi and Vietnamese.
- Install some Indic fonts.
- Install some Russian fonts.
- Add Alt+Shift shortcut to switch keyboard layout.
- Support booting in "Windows XP-like camouflage mode".
- Do not fetch APT translation files. Running apt-get update is heavy enough.
- Add MSN support thanks to msn-pecan.
- Add custom SSH client configuration:
- Prefer strong ciphers and MACs.
- Enable maximum compression level.
- Explicitly disable X11 forwarding.
- Connect as root by default, to prevent fingerprinting when username was not specified.
- Replace flawed FireGPG with a home-made GnuPG encryption applet; install a feature-stripped FireGPG that redirects users to the documentation, and don't run Seahorse applet anymore.
- Blank screen when lid is closed, rather than shutting down the system. The shutdown "feature" has caused data losses for too many people, it seems. There are many other ways a Tails system can be shut down in a hurry these days.
- Fix bug in the Pidgin nick generation that resulted in the nick "XXX_NICK_XXX" once out of twenty.
- Pre-configure the #tor IRC discussion channel in Pidgin.
- Reintroduce the htpdate notification, telling users when it's safe to use Tor Hidden Services.
- Various htpdate improvements.
Plus the usual bunch of minor bug reports and improvements.
See the online Changelog for technical details.
See the Getting started page.
The memory erasure on Tails shutdown cannot guarantee that all memory in the 2 GB to 4 GB region is wiped. The improvements made in Tails 0.10 should at least make the situation better than previously.
Were do we go from here? Have a look to our roadmap to see where we are heading to.
Would you want to help? As explained in our "how to contribute" documentation, here are many ways you can contribute to Tails: no need to be a hardcore developer.