Tails is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL (version 3 or above).
This website uses several images with various copyright, licenses, trademarks and terms of distributions:
- Debian logo: Copyright (c) 1999 Software in the Public Interest.
- USB stick icon: source; waived of all copyright and related or neighboring rights under the CC0 PD Dedication; policies.
- Onion Logo: registered trademark of The Tor Project, Inc.; the Tails project is authorized to use it under certain conditions; licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
- Icons from The Noun Project:
- CD: Creative Commons — Attribution, by Edward Boatman.
- Announcement: Creative Commons - Attribution, by Olivier Guin.
- Code: Creative Commons — Attribution, by Azis.
- Pen: Creative Commons — Attribution, by factor[e] design initiative.
- Loan: Public Domain, by Rohith M S.
- User: Creative Commons — Attribution, by Edward Boatman.
- Translation: Creative Commons — Attribution, by Joe Mortell.
- Gears: Creative Commons — Attribution, by Cris Dobbins.
- Graphic Design: Creative Commons — Attribution, by Cornelius Danger.
Distribution of the source code
Most of the software distributed with Tails is taken directly from upstream Debian packages, and is not modified or recompiled by Tails. Software that is modified or recompiled by Tails are available on our git repositories. If you require or desire the sources for unmodified Debian upstream packages, retrieving them from Debian is the simplest solution to all parties (packages that can not be found in the regular Debian archive anymore can be found at http://snapshot.debian.org/).
According to the GPL licence (section 3(b) of the GPLv2 and section 6(b) of the GPLv3), complete sources for all Tails releases are available for anyone who requests them, in DVD format, via postal mail, for a nominal charge. If you only require one or two source packages, Tails can work with you to send a copy of individual packages electronically.