There are many ways you can contribute to Tails. No effort is too small and whatever you bring to this community will be appreciated. So read on to find out how you can make a difference in Tails.
Share your experience
Donating speeds up the development of Tails.
Contribute your language skills
Good writers can make Tails accessible to more people.
Translators can allow more people around the world to use Tails.
Speakers can advocate Tails to all kinds of public.
Contribute your computer skills
Developer or maintainer
Software people with very diverse skills can improve Tails.
System administrators can contribute to the infrastructure behind Tails.
Table of contents
Tools for contributors
- Source code: Git repositories
- Redmine bug tracker
- Building a Tails image
- Debian packages
- , to automatically build our custom packages
- APT repository, to store our custom Debian packages
- Glossary for contributors
Mentors & guidance for new contributors
Once you have found a first easy task to work on, you might need some guidance.
Here is a list of mentors who can help with specific tasks. Feel free to talk to them if you plan to work on anything related to their field of expertise, for example by assigning them tickets on Redmine or talking to us using the usual communication channels.
- AppArmor: intrigeri, jvoisin, u
- Debian related work: intrigeri, u
- Documentation: BitingBird, sajolida
- Onion Circuits: alan
- OpenPGP Applet: anonym
- Persistence setup: intrigeri, kurono
- Sysadmin: contact
- Tails Greeter: alan, intrigeri
- Tails Installer: alan, kurono, u
- Tails Upgrader: intrigeri
- Test suite: anonym
- Tor configuration, time syncing, MAC spoofing: anonym
- Usability: sajolida, tchou
- Website: sajolida
- WhisperBack: alan
Relationship with upstream and derivatives
- Calendar of releases, meetings, working sessions, etc.
- Code of conduct
- Contributors meetings, and minutes from past meetings
- Marking a task as easy
- Document progress
- Reports sent to sponsors
Talk with us
To talk to other Tails contributors, subscribe to the relevant mailing lists.