You can help Tails! The first release candidate for the upcoming version 2.2 is out. Please test it and report any issue.
Keep in mind that this is a test image. We tested that it is not broken in obvious ways, but it might still contain undiscovered issues.
But test wildly!
To install 2.2~rc1, follow our usual installation instructions, skipping the Download and verify step.
Start Tails 2.0.1 on a USB stick installed using Tails Installer and set an administration password.
Run this command in a Root Terminal to select the "alpha" upgrade channel and start the upgrade:
echo TAILS_CHANNEL=\"alpha\" >> /etc/os-release && \ tails-upgrade-frontend-wrapper
After the upgrade is installed, restart Tails and chooseto verify that you are running Tails 2.2~rc1.
Changes since Tails 2.0.1 are:
Major new features and changes
- Replace Vidalia (which has been unmaintained for years) with:
- the Tor Status GNOME Shell extension, which adds a System Status icon indicating whether Tor is ready or not.
- Onion Circuits, a simple Tor circuit monitoring tool.
- Replace Vidalia (which has been unmaintained for years) with: (Closes: #6841)
- Upgrade cpio to 2.11+dfsg-4.1+deb8u1.
- Upgrade glibc to 2.19-18+deb8u3.
- Upgrade libgraphite2 to 1.3.5-1~deb8u1.
- Upgrade libreoffice to 4.3.3-2+deb8u3.
- Upgrade libssh2 to 1.4.3-4.1+deb8u1.
- Hide "Laptop Mode Tools Configuration" menu entry. We don't support configuring l-m-t in Tails, and it doesn't work out of the box. (Closes: #11074)
- Upgrade I2P to 0.9.24-1~deb8u+1.
- Add support for viewing DRM protected DVD videos using libdvdcss2. Patch series submitted by Austin English firstname.lastname@example.org. (Closes: #7674)
- Automatically save KeePassX database after every change by default. (Closes: #11147)
- Implement Tor stream isolation for WhisperBack
- Delete unused tor-tsocks-mua.conf previously used by Claws Mail. (Closes: #10904)
- Add set -u to all gettext:ized shell scripts. In gettext-base <
1.8.2, like the one we had in Wheezy, gettext.sh references the
environment variable ZSH_VERSION, which we do not set. This has
prevented us from doing
set -uwithout various hacks. (Closes: #9371)
- Also set -e in some shell scripts which lacked it for no good reason.
- Make Git verify the integrity of transferred objects. (Closes: #11107)
For more details, see also our changelog.
Tails 2.2~rc1 thinks it is Tails 2.2 in some respects, e.g. that is what the "About Tails" prompt and
tails-versioncommand will output, and also what is put in the meta data of the ISO image (and so what burnt DVD's will be titled).