Tails includes Tails Installer: a custom installer for USB sticks and SD cards.
Using Tails Installer allows you to later create a persistent volume in the free space left on the device.
Tails Installer can only install Tails on a USB stick or SD card of at least 4 GB.
Tails requires a dedicated USB stick or SD card. It is impossible to add another operating system or partition on the same device if you want to benefit from automatic upgrades or create a persistent encrypted volume.
For the moment, Tails Installer is only available from inside Tails. So you need to start Tails from a first media, and later clone it onto the device of your choice, USB stick or SD card.
Get a first Tails running. To do so you can either:
- Start Tails from a Tails DVD (recommended).
- Start Tails from another Tails USB stick or SD card, for example from a friend.
- Manually install Tails onto another USB or SD card and start Tails Installer from it.
Choose Tails Installer.to start
To install onto a new device, click on thebutton.
Plug the device onto which you want to install Tails.
A new device, which corresponds to the USB stick or SD card, appears in the Target Device drop-down list.
Choose this new device from the Target Device drop-down list.
- All the data on the installed device will be lost.
- This operation does not securely delete the lost data on the installed device.
- This operation does not copy the persistent volume of the device which is being cloned.
To start the installation, click on thebutton.
Read the warning message in the pop-up window. Click on thebutton to confirm.
After the installation completes, you can start Tails from this new device.