Tails includes Tails Installer a custom installer for USB sticks and SD cards.
Tails Installer can only install Tails on a USB stick or SD card of at least 4 GB.
In order to use Tails Installer, you need to start Tails from another media, and clone it onto the device of your choice, USB stick or SD card. To do that, you can either:
- Burn a Tails DVD (recommended).
- Use another Tails USB stick or SD card, for example from a friend.
- Manually install Tails onto another USB stick or SD card, if you cannot use a DVD.
Using Tails Installer allows you to later create a persistent volume in the free space left on the device.
Using Tails Installer
- All the data on the installed device will be lost.
- This operation does not securely delete the lost data on the installed device.
- This operation does not copy the persistent volume of the device which is being cloned.
Start Tails from another media than the device, USB stick or SD card, onto which you want to install Tails.
Choose Tails Installer.to start
To install onto a new device, click on thebutton.
Plug the device onto which you want to install Tails.
A new device, which corresponds to the USB stick or SD card, appears in the Target Device drop-down list.
Choose this new device from the Target Device drop-down list.
To start the installation, click on thebutton.
Read the warning message in the pop-up window. Click on thebutton to confirm.
After the installation completes, you can start Tails from this new device.