- You can use your wallet from different devices and avoid losing bitcoins in a backup mistake or computer failure.
- Electrum does not download the blockchain, so there is no waiting time when starting.
- You can sign transactions from an offline working session for additional security.
To start Electrum choose .
To learn how to use Electrum, read the documentation on the Electrum wiki.
Bitcoin is not anonymous.
To make it harder to relate your different transactions, you should use a different receiving address for each transaction. Electrum automatically generates new addresses for you to use.
Your wallet can be recovered entirely from its seed: the chain of words generated by Electrum when creating the wallet. But if you lose your seed, you lose your entire wallet.
That's why we recommend you both:
- Activate the Bitcoin Client persistence feature to store your bitcoin wallet and preferences across separate working sessions.
- Backup your seed outside of Tails. For example, you can write it down on a piece of paper and keep it with you.
Electrum uses mBTC as the default base unit. 1 mBTC = 0.001 BTC. To change this setting choose and open the Appearance tab.
Do not blindly trust the bitcoin balance that Electrum displays as unconfirmed. Wait for transactions to be confirmed.